Roads & Infrastructure


Around 3,564km of roads are situated within Southern Grampians Shire and it is a huge challenge each year to maintain, repair and restore them.

We place a high priority on road maintenance and each year we allocate millions of dollars to the roads budget.

The roads within the Shire are divided into two main categories - arterial roads (603km), which are managed by VicRoads and municipal roads (2818km), which are managed by Council. 

Council is the responsible authority for approximately 1,573km of sealed rural roads, 1,085km of rural unsealed roads, and 160km of sealed and unsealed urban or town roads.

Council has a contract with VicRoads to perform road maintenance tasks on some of the arterial road network (Main Roads).

If you are unsure who maintains and manages which road, visit the Southern Grampians Road Register for more information.

Southern Grampians Road Register(PDF, 1MB)

There are processes in place to help guide decisions about maintenance, construction and management of the arterial road network and the municipal road network.

Culverts and Cross-overs

A vehicle crossing provides vehicular access to private property from the public traffic lane to the property boundary. In the urban area a vehicle crossing may consist of a concrete driveway and layback in the kerb and channel. In the rural area a crossing may consist of a sealed or unsealed pavement over a reinforced concrete pipe with concrete end-walls.

Under the Road Management Act 2004, it is the property owner's responsibility to maintain and provide access to their own property. Vehicle crossings are the responsibility of the abutting landowner and are constructed at the landowner’s expense. Landowners are responsible for ensuring that crossings are maintained in a safe condition. This includes maintaining gravel driveways, installation and maintenance of culvert crossings where needed and concrete type crossovers where kerb and channel exists.

Any person wishing to construct a vehicle crossing must first obtain a Works Within Road Reserve (WWRR) permit and comply with Council specifications and WWRR permit conditions when undertaking works. Council does not inspect, maintain or repair private vehicle crossings (driveways) and pathways on road reserves that provide access to land adjoining a road. This responsibility rests with the adjoining landowner.

If gravel from driveways, grass overgrowth or any such obstruction blocks culverts, it is the property owner's responsibility to unblock, maintain and keep culverts in working order.  

Footpaths & Nature Strips

A landowner has a responsibility to keep a footpath clear of vegetation growing from their property. Under the provisions of Council’s local laws, Council may direct the landowner to trim the overhanging branches and any vegetation which impacts on the footpath. 

Nature strips are the piece of land situated between the edge of a road and the property boundary. Nature strips form part of the road reserve and are therefore under Southern Grampians Shire Council management. However, Council asks that residents maintain the basic upkeep of their nature strips so that the streetscape is kept free of hazards for the benefit of all.

Residents are reminded that garden beds, foliage or structures should not cause a line of sight problem for vehicles or pedestrians when using, entering or exiting an intersection, driveway or footpath. Council’s local laws officers may direct the landowner to trim the overhanging branches or encroaching vegetation if it becomes a public safety issue.

Council may undertake works where safety or significant amenity issue is present. 

Working in a Road Reserve

A Works within Road Reserve Permit must be obtained prior to any works being undertaken within Council road reserves.

This is to ensure that assets within road reserves are protected and reinstated to their original state after works have been carried out in the road reserve.

This permit is required if works are being undertaken with our road reserves such as:

  • Stormwater Drainage and Pit installations
  • Vehicle Crossing Construction and Modification
  • Footpath and Kerbing Replacement
  • Water Supply and Sewer Connections
  • Road Works
  • Signage and asset maintenance involving work on footpath or roadway

Public Liability Insurance 

Public Liability insurance ensures that the public are safe and liability for any accidents is covered by the person undertaking these construction works on your behalf. A minimum of $10 million worth of public liability cover is required. Applicants are advised that proof of cover in the form of a Certificate of Currency is necessary before the application can be filled out on your behalf.


Each permit is assessed on the requirements of the job depending on location, type of work etc. The Permit Fees are detailed on the Application Form and must be paid at the time of application to our 1 Market Place, Hamilton office.


Council's Works Manager is required to undertake or arrange reinstatement of affected infrastructure to Council standards.


New Private Driveways

All new driveways must be compliant with relevant Infrastructure Design Manual (IDM) standards as suggested by Council. 

2024/25 Road Reseals, footpaths, and kerb and channels

See a comprehensive list of road reseals, footpath maintenance and kerb and channel work scheduled for the 2024/25 financial year.

2024/25 Scheduled Works(PDF, 2MB)