Wandering Stock & Wildlife


Wandering stock on roads is a risk to traffic having the potential to cause serious injury or death to motorists.

Local Law officers can attend to stock wandering on roads controlled by Southern Grampians Shire Council.

Once notified of an incident a Local Laws officer will respond immediately and assess the situation having regard to the safety of themselves and the public.

It is the stock owner’s responsibility to provide and maintain effective fencing to stop stock straying onto a road. Fines may be issued. 

If the stock is wandering on a major highway, please call VicRoads on 13 11 70 (24 hours). 

If you have concerns for the welfare of livestock please contact Agriculture Victoria - Hamilton Branch on 03 5551 0300.

In an emergency contact 000.

Injured Wildlife

If you find injured wildlife, please call Hamilton Wildlife Shelter on 0409 187 625 for advice and assistance or use the Help for Injured Wildlife tool on the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action website (DEECA) to find local a shelter in your area who can assist.