Southern Grampians Shire Council Logo
Skip Links

Emergency Management

What is Council's role in an emergency?

Council supports the CFA, SES and Police during emergencies when requested, by coordinating resources and establishing a Municipal Emergency Coordination Centre (MECC) if required.

Council also coordinates the relief and recovery efforts after the initial emergency has passed. This includes establishing relief centres for people who have been affected by disasters and need assistance.

Current emergency warnings

Click here for the latest emergency warnings

Visit the CFA website for general bushfire advice.

What to do in an emergency?

If an emergency threatens life or property, dial 000.

The most important thing residents can do in an emergency is to be as prepared as possible. Click on the links below to prepare your property:

Prepare your family and your property for bush fires
Prepare your property for storms
Prepare your property for floods

Listen to emergency updates on emergency broadcasters:

  • ABC Local Radio 94.1FM
  • 3HA 981AM
  • Mixx 88.9FM
  • SkyNews television

Who should I call?

Service | Emergency Suggested Contact
Emergencies (life or property are in danger) Phone 000
Bushfire Information Line (warnings and general information) Phone 1800 240 667
Storm or flood damage Phone SES on 132 500
Missing pets Phone Council on (03) 5573 0444
Counsellors Phone Lifeline on 131 114
Power outage Phone your electricity company, their number should be on your power bill.
Power outage during storms Phone SES on 132 500 they may be able to assist or refer your information to the right person.
Water and sewerage problems Phone Wannon Water on 1300 926 666


The Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES) is the control agency for flooding in Victoria, which means that they are responsible for planning for floods, and for managing flood response if they do occur.

They have a range of information available on their website about how to prepare yourself and your home in the event of flood.

For information relating to the September 2016 flood event click here


The Country Fire Authority (CFA) is the lead agency in a fire-related emergency.

The CFA has a wide range of Fire Safety publications in languages other than English to help the community plan and prepare for fires. These resources are located on their website at

The CFA publications include:

Fire Danger Ratings
Understand how the Fire Danger Rating Scale will alert you to danger so you can take action.

Fire Restrictions - Can I Can't I
Explains fire restrictions for Total Fire Ban days and during the Fire Danger Period.

Home Fire Safety
Information about smoke alarms, cooking, electrical appliances and heating.

Grassfires in Urban Areas
Information to help you know how to protect yourself and your property from grassfires, if you live near cities and towns.

Your Guide to Survival
This ‘go to guide’ informs you on information such as how to stay informed on fire risk days, why you should leave early, what information to gather ahead of fire season for you and your family, understand what to expect during a bushfire and guidance on how to stay informed of fires across your area.

To access these publications in a language other than English visit There are also publications in Easy English which can be found at

Current Road Closures

The following roads are closed indefinitely due to damage caused during the September 2016 flood event:

Motorists are advise to obey road signage and are reminded that it is an offence to drive around road closed signs.

During emergencies such as fire or flood, VicRoads is responsible for not only providing information about freeways, highways and major roads impacted, but also local or council roads. For the latest information on road closures or to report a hazard, call 13 11 70 or visit

Powered by