Southern Grampians Shire Council Logo
Skip Links


Dividing Fences Adjoining Council Land

Private land owners and/or occupiers requesting Council to contribute to the cost of construction of dividing fences are required to submit at least two written quotations for the work, the most advantageous of which is to be accepted in writing prior to the commencement of work.

Council’s Fencing Policy states that Council will only pay for half of the dividing fence cost of fences built to the following standards:

  • The standard fence for residential and commercial land is posts at 3 metre spacings, hardwood/metal rails, clad with timber palings or corrugated iron/colour bond, 1.5 metres in height.
  • The standard fence for industrial land is 50mm galvanised tube posts at 3 metre spacings, with galvanised chain wire 1.8 metres in height and three horizontal support cables.
  • The standard fence for farm land is posts at 7 metre spacings with two droppers per panel and seven plain wires or seven line ringlock.

Private land owners and/or occupiers are permitted to construct a dividing fence that does not fit the above requirements, however in that situation Council will only pay half of what the cost would have been if it did meet the standards above (additional costs would be at the owner/occupiers expense).

Payments will be made upon receipt of a Tax Invoice following the completion of works. Payments can be made directly to the contractor who completed the works or to the private land owners/occupiers if they have already paid the Tax Invoice in full. Payment will be made within 30 days of receipt of a Tax Invoice.

If you wish to make a request for Council contribution to adjoining fence costs please complete the below form and send it with two written quotations to Customer Service at Council’s Office at 111 Brown Street, Hamilton, or post to:

Dividing Fence Request
Southern Grampians Shire Council
Locked Bag 685

Customer Service
111 Brown Street
Hamilton Vic 3300
Phone (03) 5573 0444

Powered by