Southern Grampians Shire Council Logo
Skip Links

Impact on Council Services

Current as at: 1 March 2022

Mandatory Facemasks

Face masks are no longer required in most indoor settings but they are still recommended. Carry a mask when leaving home.

It is strongly recommend that you wear a face mask if you have any COVID-19 symptoms, are with people who may be vulnerable to COVID-19, and/or cannot physically distance.

Everyone aged 8 years and above is still required to wear a face mask in certain settings unless an exception applies. Visit this page for information about where masks are required.

Proof of Vaccination - Council Facilities

Update: Only patrons over the age of 18 are now required to show proof of double vaccination status upon entering a Council facility. Those under 18 years of age are no longer required to show proof.

Patrons attending Council community facilities listed below will be required to provide proof of double COVID-19 vaccination upon check in from Monday 25 October 2021, in line with new directions issued by the Victorian Government.

Impacted Council Services - Proof of Double Vaccination

  • Greater Hamilton Library (including the Mobile Library)
  • Hamilton Gallery
  • Hamilton Performing Arts Centre
  • Hamilton Cinema

Essential services including the Customer Service Centres located at Brown Street and Market Place, all Shire Transfer Stations, Maternal Child Health and Home Support Services remain unchanged and patrons do not need to show vaccination status to access these services.

Frequently Asked Questions

It’s terrific that more restrictions have eased and that we are moving back to doing more of what we love. As part of doing so, the Victorian Government’s roadmap requires certain businesses and venues to ask patrons aged 18 and over to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. If you are asked to show proof of vaccination status, please be kind and cooperate. Staff are simply doing their job by asking so please be patient and kind while the process is completed.

Below are a few frequently asked questions in relation to vaccination certificates.

Where has this direction come from?

It’s important to understand that this direction has come directly from the Victorian State Government in relation to the latest health advice issued from the Chief Health Officer. The direction has been introduced to help reduce the spread of the virus within our community and to keep people safe.

Can Council actually request to see my certificate?

Yes. Under the latest direction, Council staff are legally required to check vaccination status. Individuals and the organisation face fines if this is not actioned.

Will Council store data in relation to my certificate?

No. Council staff will not store copies or note down your immunisation history.

Isn’t it discrimination to ask to see my vaccination status?

No. We are currently enduring unprecedented times and are operating under pandemic guidelines. It is a requirement that Council must check vaccination status for those over the age of 18. It is not about discriminating against an individual or group. The State Government has been very clear that there is only one valid reason for non-vaccination and that is on medical grounds - which will absolutely be accepted once shown via the same process as providing vaccination certificate.

Are Council staff double vaccinated?

It is a requirement for all Southern Grampians Shire Council staff to be fully vaccinated to maintain employment with Council.

What classes as a medical exemption?

An appropriate medical exemption will be accepted if it has a valid date (no older than six months old). Council staff do not need/nor will ask for your private medical history - they just need to see the exemption.

Who needs to provide proof of double vaccination?

Everyone over the age of 18 MUST provide proof of double vaccination or a valid medical exemption. Children under the age of 18 are not required to provide vaccination status.

I’m just here with my child who is under 18 and does not require vaccination. Do I need to still show proof?

Yes. If a parent/guardian accompanies a minor to one of the aforementioned Council facilities or events, the accompanying parent/guardian MUST show proof of double vaccination.

Does this apply to events managed by the impacted Council facilities?

Yes. If the event has been organised or hosted by the Council facility, attendees will be subject to the same requirements as if they were attending the actual facility. For example this direction applies to entry into the Mobile Library as is a function of the Greater Hamilton Library.

I’ve received a single dose but am waiting for my second, can I still attend?

Unfortunately until you have received your second vaccination dose and can show a certificate – you will have to wait until you have been fully vaccinated before entering the facility. We look forward to welcoming you back to our facilities at that time.

Paying your accounts

You can still pay your accounts online and we encourage you to continue to do this whilst we are working on other methods such as direct debit.

Emailing of invoices is also a priority for Council so you get your accounts faster and so that we can communicate with you more efficiently. Please provide your email address if you haven’t already.

For more account information for individual groups of debtors please see the below:

Paying your accounts at Council

Business Support during COVID-19

Click here for local business support and information during COVID-19.

Powered by