Southern Grampians Shire Council Logo
Skip Links

Planning Resources and Application Forms

A Planning Permit is a legal document that gives permission for a use or development on a particular piece of land. To obtain a permit, an application must be made to Council's Planning Department. If Council agrees with the proposal, it will grant a planning permit with written conditions, and usually endorsed plans, that show what is to be built and how the land can be used.

Successful applicants must satisfy all the conditions on a planning permit and comply with the endorsed plans. Any changes to approved plans and permit conditions must be approved by Council. If changes are more than minor, Council may require a new planning permit application be processed for consideration.

Before you submit a detailed application for a planning permit you are encouraged to discuss your proposal with Planning Department staff who can advise you about whether or not an application is required and what information and/or documentation will need to be supplied.

Extending a Planning Permit

Each Planning Permit has a condition which states the timeframe that development, use or certification must be started and completed within for the permit to be valid. It is possible to request an extension of time if the permit is due to expire or has recently expired. Please ensure you fill out the relevant documentation and pay the required fee for your request to be considered.

For any planning permit application, fees apply and are payable on lodgement of a planning permit application.

Obtaining a copy of Title

All planning permit applications must be accompanied by a recent copy of title

A copy of Title can be obtained online from Landata - Land Victoria. Please note, fees apply to obtain a copy of title online at

Planning Certificates

A planning certificate is issued by the Minister for Planning through the Department of Planning and Community Development, which provides details of:
• The planning triggers or mechanisms affecting a property.
• The zoning of a property or and any other planning controls affecting the property, such as Heritage Overlays or Design and Development Overlays.

Planning certificates are required to confirm this information, as zoning or overlay information cannot be given over the telephone. A certificate can be obtained at

Comments or Objections to Grant a Planning Permit Form

Comments or objections can be submitted via email, in person at Council Offices or via post. Please see Council's contact details listed here.

Common Planning Questions?

A planning permit is often required for the use, development and/or subdivision of land. For example, for the use and construction of a house and any associated works such as fencing, pools, carport or dependent person's unit; tree removal or to operate a business or other commercial activity.

We have put together a list of Common Planning Questions which we hope will assist you with any immediate questions you may have. However, it will be difficult to find out if a planning permit is required from this information alone as this is determined by the precise location and nature of the proposal. We encourage you to talk to a planner to help you establish whether a planning permit is required.

Planning Department
1 Market Place
Hamilton Vic 3300
Phone (03) 5573 0444

Powered by