Southern Grampians Shire Council Logo
Skip Links
Emergency Management

Emergency Management


For all information relating to the COVID-19 pandemic, please click here

What is Council's role in an emergency?

Council supports emergency services including CFA, SES, Police and Department of Health and Human Services to plan cooperatively for prevention of, response to and recovery from emergencies.

During emergencies Council works with emergency services to provide resources, local knowledge and community connections.

Council coordinates the relief and recovery efforts after the initial emergency has passed. This includes establishing relief centres for people who have been affected by disasters and need assistance.

Current emergency warnings

Click here for the latest emergency warnings

Visit the CFA website for general advice on preparing for fires.

Visit the SES website for general advice on preparing for floods, storms, landslides and earthquakes.

What to do in an emergency?

If an emergency threatens life or property, dial 000.

The most important thing residents can do in an emergency is to be as prepared as possible. Click on the links below to prepare your property:

Prepare your family and your property for bush fires
Prepare your property for storms
Prepare your property for floods

Listen to emergency updates on emergency broadcasters:

Local emergency broadcasters

  • ABC Local Radio 94.1FM
  • 3HA 981AM
  • Mixx 88.9FM
  • SkyNews television

Who should I call?

Service | Emergency Suggested Contact
Emergencies (life or property are in danger) Phone 000
VicEmergency Hotline (warnings and general information) Phone 1800 226 226
Storm or flood damage Phone SES on 132 500
Missing pets Phone Council on (03) 5573 0444
Counsellors Phone Lifeline on 131 114
Power outage Phone your electricity company, their number should be on your power bill.
Power outage during storms Phone SES on 132 500 they may be able to assist or refer your information to the right person.
Water and sewerage problems Phone Wannon Water on 1300 926 666


The Victoria State Emergency Service (VICSES) is the control agency for flood response in Victoria

They have a range of information available on their website about how to prepare yourself and your home in the event of flood.


The CFA and Forest Fire Management Victoria are the lead agencies in fire emergencies.

The CFA has a wide range of Fire Safety publications, including in languages other than English to help the community plan and prepare for fires. These resources are located on their website at

The CFA publications include:

Fire Danger Ratings
Understand how the Fire Danger Rating Scale will alert you to danger so you can take action.

Fire Restrictions - Can I Can't I
Explains fire restrictions for Total Fire Ban days and during the Fire Danger Period.

Home Fire Safety
Information about smoke alarms, cooking, electrical appliances and heating.

Grassfires in Urban Areas
Information to help you know how to protect yourself and your property from grassfires, if you live near cities and towns.

Your Guide to Survival
This ‘go to guide’ informs you on information such as how to stay informed on fire risk days, why you should leave early, what information to gather ahead of fire season for you and your family, understand what to expect during a bushfire and guidance on how to stay informed of fires across your area.

To access these publications in a language other than English visit There are also publications in Easy English which can be found at

Disaster Assistance Extended For Bushfire Affected Communities In Victoria

9th Jan 2020
Bushfire assistance of up to $1960 per family has been extended to communities in 14 Victorian council areas to help relieve personal hardship and distress.

People in the Ararat, Alpine, Ballarat, Glenelg, Golden Plains, Indigo, Mansfield, Northern Grampians, Pyrenees, South Gippsland, Southern Grampians, Wangaratta, Wellington and Wodonga council areas can now access the support package.

Minister for Natural Disaster and Emergency Management David Littleproud said these payments will give people dignity and help communities return to normal life even sooner. “This gives payments of up to $560 per adult and $280 per child - to a maximum of $1,960 per family,” Minister Littleproud said. “The payments are to help meet immediate needs of those worst-hit through the next few days." “This could be used for expenses such as such as food, emergency shelter, medicine and clothing."

Victorian Minister for Police and Emergency Services Lisa Neville said a number of communities have been significantly affected across the State, in particular the North-East and Gippsland, and need assistance. “Recovery support is available for people experiencing personal hardship to help with their immediate emergency needs,” Minister Neville said. “The package also included personal and financial counselling, to support those suffering in hardship as a direct result of the fires.”

Assistance is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).
Anyone who has been affected by the bushfires and is suffering personal hardship and distress should visit an Emergency Relief Centre or call the Payment Assistance Helpline on 1800 961 054 for advice and support.

Information on disaster assistance is available on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at the Department of Health and Human Services website at and the VicEmergency website at

Current Road Closures

The following roads are closed indefinitely due to damage caused during the September 2016 flood event:

Motorists are advise to obey road signage and are reminded that it is an offence to drive around road closed signs.

During emergencies such as fire or flood, Regional Roads Victoria is responsible for not only providing information about freeways, highways and major roads impacted, but also local or council roads.

For the latest information on road closures check the VicTraffic website.

To report a hazard, call 13 11 70 or visit

Personal Well-being

It is normal to have strong reactions following a distressing or frightening event, and people can experience a range of physical, mental, emotional and behavioural reactions.

There are a number support services available to assist you and your family recover from the strong emotional or physical reactions you may be experiencing.

If you or someone you know is in need of emotional and social wellbeing support, call one of the following numbers.
• Beyond Blue – 24hrs, 7 days a week – 1300 224 636
• Lifeline – 24hrs a day, 7 days a week – 13 11 14
• Kids Helpline – 24hrs, 7 days a week – 1800 55 1800

The Department of Health and Human Services also offers a range of support services.

Please contact the Rural Financial Counselling Service Victoria on 1300 735 578 for access to business and emotional support.

Powered by