Southern Grampians Shire Council Logo
Skip Links

Registering a new food business (or altering an existing one)

When registering a new food business/community group or altering an existing premises, you need to comply with Food Act and Food Standards Code.

Read ‘So you want to run a food business’ and visit Department of Health & Human Services Food Safety website for additional information.

The Council offers businesses a service to review food premises plans prior to registration to assess compliance with the Food Act and Food Standards Code. We recommend using this service as it can avoid the risk of delays and extra costs if extra building works or alterations are subsequently needed to obtain registration.

To use the service, submit the application to register a new food premises with the premises plans and applicable fee. If you are altering, transferring or have just purchased an existing property that you wish to alter, contact your Environmental Health Officer.

If you are opening or purchasing a food premises or if you plan to serve food as part of your accommodation premises you are required to be registered under the Food Act 1984 before you can open your premises.

If you are taking over an existing food business you should contact Councils Environmental health Officer to arrange for a premises inspection to be conducted. This will ensure that you are aware of any outstanding orders or requirements placed on the business prior to settlement.

Contact Council’s Planning, Building and Local Law Departments on (03) 5573 0444 to discuss your proposal as there may be other requirements that need to be met.

Follow this link to return to our Food Premises webpage for Application & Request Forms.

Powered by